Seldom when you try to turn on the Windows Defender, it may stop and show you an error code 0x800704ec. This error Code comes as a Windows official notification and prevents you from opening the Microsoft Defender application. If this error occurs, you may see the below error message:
The program is blocked by group policy. For more reports, contact your system administrator. (Error Code: 0x800704ec)
The currently active antivirus program on your system that may have switched Windows Defender off to bypass the overlapping software operations is one potential cause for this problem to occur. Well, we’re coming up with all possible methods to help you turn on your Windows Defender to solve this issue.
Solve Error code 0x800704ec When Running Windows Defender
Here we bring you all feasible methods to solve the issue with Windows Defender:
1: Enable Windows Defender Services
Allowing the Windows Defender Services can help you fix the error code 0x800704ec. Hither is the steps to enable the Windows Defender Services:
1. Right-click on Start and picked Run to open the Run dialog box.
2. In the dialog box, type services.MSC & hit Enter.
3. Inside the Services window, locate Windows Defender Antivirus Service & then double click on it.
4. In the properties window, ensure that the Startup type is set to Automatic & the Service status is Running.
2: Uninstall the Antivirus
You can also try to solve this problem by uninstalling the antivirus software from your system & thus making the Windows defender get active to protect your computer. Hither is the detailed steps below to uninstall your antivirus software:
1. First, Press the Windows+R shortcut key to open the Run dialog box.
2. Then, In the dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
3. Next, look for the Antivirus software that you want to uninstall.
4. Tap on that antivirus software and select uninstall.
5. Click on Yes in the case when you get a prompt for confirmation.
6. Finally, Restart your PC after uninstalling the antivirus software.
3: Modify the Registry key
Another way to resolve the error Code 0x800704ec is to modify the registry key that will provide an instant fix. Well, here we present you detailed steps to make the process of modifying the registry key simple for you:
1. Start, Right-click on Start, and select the Run option.
2. Next, In the dialog box, type regedit.exe and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
3. Click Yes in the case when asking for the confirmation.
4. Then, In the Registry Editor window, go to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows Defender
5. Choose Windows Defender, go to the right pane, and double click on the Default (REG_SZ ) key.
7. Now, enter the Value data 0 and click on the OK button in the dialog box.
8. Lastly, close the registry editor window and restart your computer.
Once your computer starts up, run Microsoft Defender & see if it works.
4: Change Local Group Policy Settings
In most cases of failure of the above methods, here we come up with a third solution to fix the error Code 0x800704ec. So, Group Policy may block the Windows Defender and cause this error. Then try changing the settings of Local Group Policy in order to solve this problem. These steps to change the settings of the group policy are given below:
1. First, Open Run dialog box using Windows and R key.
2. Then, In the dialog box, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
3. Next, Inside the Local Group Policy Editor window, go to the following location:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus.
4. Here, In the right pane, locate Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus & then double click on it.
5. Choose the Not Configured in the pop-up window & click Apply > OK.
6. Finally, Reboot your PC after finishing all the steps & check if the error is solved.
5: Run SFC scan and DISM utility
Improving the corrupted system files can also help you solve this error code. This system file checker and DISM tool can help remove the corrupted system files and replace them with the corrected version. Here are these steps that are given below to run SFC:
1. Tap on Start and type “Command Prompt.”
2. Now, Right-click on the same and tap Run as administrator.
3. Click on the Yes button when UAC prompts on the screen.
4. Then, In the command prompt window, then type the command given below:
5. Tap enter and let the scanning procedure to complete.
Suppose the above method doesn’t work. There is a requirement for some advanced commands like DISM in order to optimize the Windows system files. Well, To run DISM, here are the steps that are given below:
1. So, Open command Prompt with admin access.
2. Now, Type the command given below and hit Enter to execute it:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
3. Here, After running the procedure, reboot your PC and check if the error is resolved now.
Also, Check :
That is it. I hope it assisted you to fix the Windows Defender Error Code 0x800704ec.